Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Stroke of Midnight

Some people get quiet and subdued when tired. Others get hyper.

Nadia is definitely the hyper type!

The highlight of this past weekend was the midnight Easter service, and Nadia looked forward to it all week long. I can't tell you how many times I heard "do we have nighttime church this night?" or "is it Sunday now when Baby Jesus is alive again?" (she always calls Him "Baby Jesus." Always.)

Despite her eagerness, I was half expecting her to be in tears 20 minutes in and end up asleep before it was half over. Yeah, well, I was wrong.

Would you believe me if I said that her eyes never closed until we got back home at 5 in the morning? She stayed awake through the entire 3 hour service, for the party afterwards, and even on the half hour drive home.

Other than a couple of tearful moments, Nadia was even in a surprisingly good mood. But while she may have been awake and cheerful...she definitely has diminished mental capacity in the wee hours of the morning. The kid (who is normally annoyingly conscious of fire safety) managed to almost burn herself not once, not twice, but THREE times - once on the tip of her nose! When she wasn't burning herself, Nadia kept busy playing Mommy to her cousins - arranging beds, tucking blankets in, admonishing them to "go to sleep now, honey."

And those cousins? All four of them stayed awake the entire time, too (despite Mommy Nadia's ministrations!). I couldn't believe how well the girls all did!! In fact, their uncle was the only one to fall asleep.

This is the first year Nadia has really been aware of all the excitement of Pascha. She thought is was awesome. So awesome, in fact, that she's requested that we have nighttime church again next Sunday!

I kept the camera out and snapped a bunch of picture of the service. Even with the ISO pumped up as high as it would go, shutter speed hovered around 1/25....so they are decidedly low quality but I still love the atmosphere they capture. And after months of avoiding Lightroom, I'm finally beginning to see its advantages for editing multiple images at once. Oh, and yes, I've also decided I like blog boards that allow me to post lots of images easily!

The Paschal service

You are getting sleepy...so sleepy

Pretty Maids all in a Row

10 comments:

Blueberry said...

you are one lucky lady. my child goes into meltdown mode about 30 minutes past her normal bedtime and it is quite the sight. ;)

lovely shots of the service!

Joanna said...

The mood in the images are so peaceful and full of love....with all of your family and all the little nieces together. The candlelight adds so much too. Isnt it hilarious when they go into Mommy mode. Ella does that with our dog and her baby dolls.

I have recently gotten Lightroom as well and it intimidates the hell out of me. I played around a bit, but I am so comfortable with PS. I really need to read the book I got on LR so I can learn more and see the benefits of it against PS.

Jen said...

The blog boards look great. You captured the service beautifully. I can't believe Nadia did so well. Mine would have stayed awake, but I am not sure about their mood.

Corey~living and loving said...

ooooo the photos are fabulously moody. love that. looks so beautiful.

tell me how you make your blogboards. do you use a software that does it for you, or do you do it PS?

carrie said...

Holy. Cow. That girl is amazing. Mine would have been puddles of tears, or sound asleep on my lap...one or the other! I hope she is caught up on sleep and this week isn't too much craziness with playing catch up!

And I think the photos capture the mood so well - I love them.

I like Lightroom, too...I keep going back and forth between all of them.

Arizaphale said...

Yup, no need to worry about the quality there. The atmosphere is everything. Love the one of your brother (?) asleep.

Our scientific friend, continuing the nuclear metaphor, used to refer to the pre-nap meltdown as 'reaching critical mass'. As in "We had to leave the party because F was reaching critical mass." Very appropriate in the case of that particular child. hee hee

melody is slurping life said...

I think the photos depict the moments in a perfect mood.

Love the faces of the girls holding the candles.

cheryl said...

Where did my comment go?
Any whoo. LOVE the pictures. I think you've really captured something. Way to not shake!

Kimberly said...

To borrow Bryce's favorite phrase, "Oh Dear!" Hope Nadia's nose is okay. :) What an experience, that's one late night!

Anna at Hank and Willie said...

Love the blog boards, love the images and love LR too. Glad you do also!